Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Something different in Sawyer


SAWYER, Mich. - I always welcome the chance to experience something different, and Sawyer, Michigan gave me that chance Saturday night.
One of the classier experiences I've had came that night in my only visit to Sawyer to date. I always knew Sawyer was an elite community right on Lake Michigan in the southwest part of the state. A number of high end Chicago families have second homes up there and the town is the favorite vacation spot for Illinois U.S. Senator Mark Kirk.
But Saturday night impressed me even more. I was on hand at Fritz Olsen Sculptures for an 'Art of Giving' event. The donations taken from the event were gathered to benefit Radio Harbor Country, the area's local radio station run by volunteers.
I enjoyed looking at the expensive art, hanging out with people richer than I'll ever been and seeing entertaining short story plays that were pretty absurd. It was my first wine and cheese tasting event I've ever been to.
Three short absurd plays were performed by professional actors Gail Isaacson, Gwynne Winsberg, Arnie Saks and Robert Swan. Swan appeared in the famous movie, The Untouchables.
Isaacson, who wrote the three hilarious plays, and Winsberg, also have radio shows on Radio Harbor Country.
It still isn't my thing, but I am thankful that I got the opportunity to do it. I have been looking to experience pretty much anything at least once. My new job at the Harbor Country News seems to allow me to do that.

Photo: Fritz Olsen (founder of Fritz Olsen Sculptures) and his wife, Martha Cares (car-A) pose for a photo at the Art of Giving benefit Saturday night at Fritz Olsen Sculptures in Sawyer, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment