Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Monday, July 4, 2011

A fabulous Fourth weekend


Fourth of July 2011 will go down as one of my favorites, and most of what I had planned was done while working.
While there are many inconveniences working as a news reporter in Michigan City, weekends like this make it all worthwhile.
On Friday night, I participated in the city's monthly downtown "Art Walk," featuring all the galleries and stores in between 4th and 11th Street on Franklin. It was an experience of a lifetime and you can bet that I'll be back next "First Friday" of the month in August.
A day filled with rain came to a conclusion by enjoying some nice art while snacking on pretzels and such and tasting some fine wines. I ran in to a good number of people that I know, showing me that it is truly the place to be on a Friday night.
Saturday was fun too, taking in every moment of the Michigan City parade down Franklin Street, viewing the various entries. It was a little hot that day, but I'm glad the rain did not interfere.
Sunday I had a chance to relax back home in Oak Lawn after attending St. Cajetan Church in West Beverly, the 10th on my Chicago church tour.
But the best day of the weekend was the Fourth itself. With the demise of the South Side Irish Parade, I think I have a new favorite. It's the Long Beach Fourth of July march down Oriole Trail and Foxdale Trail.
The weather was nothing short of perfect. 72 degrees, blue skies, and shady with all the trees that grow in the vacation community just south of Michiana Shores.
I also had a chance to go to the Washington Park Beach Monday afternoon with my girlfriend.
A great weekend.

Photo: The crew at Walnut Ink Gallery on First Friday in Michigan City.

No comments:

Post a Comment