Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Friday, April 26, 2013

NFL Draft is a disappointment

I think the NFL Draft was a better event when it was held on two days, Saturday and Sunday. I remember being in seventh grade, rushing home from Saturday morning's CCD class at St. Catherine of Alexandria in Oak Lawn to see who the Colts would select with the top pick in 1998. It was Peyton Manning, I was happy, and the rest is NFL history. The following year, it was on another Saturday morning where I could be seen on my knees weeping as I would watch my beloved Colts pass on Ricky Williams, the runningback from the University of Texas that was the highest touted player in Draft history. The Colts selected the lesser-known Edgerrin James, a runningback from the University of Miami. James ended up being an integral part of the Colts' dominance in the early 2000s. Williams has become more of a caricature, retiring several times during an up and down career.
These two examples show that the Draft is in fact an inexact science. Some highly touted prospects turn out, some don't. And that's what makes it fun.
But it was more of a spectacle on a Saturday morning. More going on at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment