Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Before 2008, I was never interested in fantasy football. I only cared about the outcomes of the games. But as 2009 comes to a close, I am the fantasy football champion of a competitive 14-team league. 
This is my second year of competing in fantasy football. My team's name is Holy Roller, named after the famous Raiders-Chargers play from 1978. 
Right after the draft I had a great feeling about my team. With the top overall pick, I selected Adrian Peterson, an obvious choice. I surrounded him with solid picks in Roddy White, Kurt Warner and the Arizona defense. But my best picks were Ray Rice (Round 8) and Miles Austin (Round 10). I had a feeling those guys were going to have a good year because of how the finished in 2008. I also remembered Rice's days from Rutgers. 
Santonio Holmes was a risky pick, but panned out with a few big games in the fantasy playoff weeks. 
The only weakness on my team was JaMarcus Russell, the backup quarterback. But once Brett Favre finally signed with the Minnesota Vikings, I quickly dumped Russell for Favre. Having two old guys (Favre and Warner) as my QBs was fun. 
Fantasy Football is a fun game. If you take it seriously, you will gain more knowledge on players. It's good to know the QB, RB, WR situations all the teams are in. It makes meaningless games like Oakland-Cleveland matter. 
My fantasy football championship comes just three months after the St. Paul Saints, my fantasy baseball team, won the title in the same league. In that league, my team made the playoffs as the six and final seed by one game and pulled three upsets in the playoffs to win the title. 
2009 was indeed a great year for my fantasy teams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment