Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Blackhawks sweep way to Cup final

CHICAGO - It's hard for Chicago sports fans to even believe, but the Chicago Blackhawks are in the Stanley Cup Finals. 
Just three years ago, the Hawks were one of the worst franchises in sports. It was easy to get a ticket, but nobody wanted to go to a game. In 2006, the team gave the college radio station I worked at 30 free tickets to a game against the Dallas Stars in return for any air time at all. None of the major sports stations would discuss the Hawks. They were irrelevant. We couldn't even give all 30 tickets away. We opened the phone lines and said "The first person to call this station, wins two tickets." But no one bit. I went to the game that night and the stadium was more than half empty. 
So how have things changed since? Well now they are the talk of the town. The most talented team in hickey with a brighter future than perhaps any club in all of professional sports.   
I went down to the west side with my father and a friend on Sunday to watch the Hawks battle the San Jose Sharks in Game Four of the Western Conference final from Billy Goat Tavern, just a couple blocks east of the Madhouse. My plan was to watch the game near the stadium that day regardless of how the series was going for the team. My luck was that they were already up 3-0 and they had a chance to sweep. I had a chance to see a celebration. 
Game Four will be remembered forever. Duncan Keith lost seven teeth, but four shifts later, he reentered the game. San Jose took a 2-0 lead, but the Hawks evened it up pretty quickly late in the second and had all the momentum heading into the third. 
Before the final period began, I remember predicting that the Hawks would win 4-2, getting a goal with six minutes to go and then an empty netter with 30 seconds to play.
Probably the best prediction I have ever made in my life. And I doubt I will even come nearly that close to accuracy again. The Hawks went ahead with a Dustin Byfuglien power play goal with 5 minutes, 55 seconds left in the game. The empty netter came with 42 seconds to go. I guess I was off by five seconds and 12 seconds, respectively. 
The Blackhawks are the perfect example of how it's possible to resurrect a franchise from apparent hopelessness to great promise. True Hawks fans should savor this run. They have four more wins to get, but the Flyers should not be too much of a threat. Barring an upset, this will be the Hawks' first Stanley Cup title since 1961. 49 years, the biggest drought in the sport. 
Two years ago, we wondered if this team would ever return to the big stage. Two weeks from now, we could be planning a parade down State Street. 
Go Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment