Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lincoln's center: Springfield, IL


While cruising through the great state of Illinois, you'll find many "Lincoln towns." But no place in the state has more significance to the United States' 16th President than it's capital, Springfield.
I had the chance to visit the State Capital for only the third time in my life Friday when I was invited to the 2009 Illinois Press Association awards luncheon. My experience at the luncheon was a great start to a great day of learning. In addition to winning a First Place award for a Sports Column, I won a Second Place certificate for a Sports Feature.

Although I was in a great mood, the ceremony took a few hours and my tour of Springfield would have to wait until 3 p.m. It would be a mini-tour, but I was determined to learn as much as I could in the few hours I had there.

My original plan was to visit the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. But since two hours are recommended to see the entire museum, I would have to put this off for another time.

After parking in one of the many towers in the city, I made my way to the Visitor Center to see which attractions would be best for someone who only has a couple hours to see the town. The attendant on hand recommended the Old State Capitol building.

I walked the three blocks over to the Old State Capitol, which was in use as the state's political center from 1839-1876. As soon as you walk in, someone will hand you a copy of Abraham Lincoln's final paycheck from the capitol, a $292 sum that was dated from 1840. Entering the capitol is free, although they suggest a donation of $5-10. My favorite part of this historic site was seeing the Hall of Representatives, the very room Lincoln had delivered his "House Divided" speech, one of his most famous.

The building was restored in 1969 and gives you a great old-time feel.

Any Abraham Lincoln fanatic (there are more than you may think) could spend a week in Springfield. Other sites that Lincoln fans or history buffs in general may like to pay a visit to include Lincoln's home, the Lincoln Tomb and the Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices, where he practiced law until he moved to Washington.

I'm glad I finally got the chance to view Springfield as a tourist. I always thought it was odd that I have been to the capital of Indiana over 20 times, but never really got a chance to walk around the capital of my home state.

Before I headed back on I-55 north, I made sure to stop at Springfield's oldest fast food place, the Cozy Dog Drive-In. Called the original fast food place on Rt. 66, Cozy Dog has been a Springfield staple since 1950. I originally heard about the place on the Travel Channel, where Adam and the Man v. Food crew visited the joint. A cozy dog is a giant corn dog. The food was nothing special, but the place was. It had a great 1950s or 60s feel with old Illinois licence plates and Rte. 66 memorabilia all over the walls. It is smoker friendly too. Although it is illegal to smoke at all Illinois food places, those who wish can wait for the food while smoking in their cars and the waitress will bring it out to you.

Springfield is a Rt. 66 town, as many I-55 towns are. Centrally located in the state, all Illinois residents should make a point of visiting this place. It's full of history and I hope to return soon.
Photo: The Old State Capitol, located at Sixth and Adams Sts. in Springfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment