Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Beginning a new job

After two and a half years of great experiences, my time as the Sports Editor for the Clinton Journal in Central Illinois has come to an end. As a full-time employee of the Journal, I was given the chance to learn from great reporters about the field and expand my knowledge of community journalism. I believe that I now fully understand what the essence of a local newspaper is. 
My experience covering meeting, taking photographs and writing sports stories in Clinton has helped me attain my next job, as a staff writer for the Harbor Country News in New Buffalo, Michigan. 
The job in Michigan does not offer me the same freedom I had in Clinton and gives me a little less responsibility in dealing with people. Since I am not an editor, I can now focus on improving my writing ability and picture taking. Although the job may not be as prestigious as the one I had in Clinton, I am beginning the love it even though I have only been here for three days. I like the idea of being given assignments and meeting new people in an area that I love. 
The best benefit of the job is the area. I have had a connection to Northwest Indiana and Southwest Michigan my entire life, as my parents have owned a home there for longer than I have been around. New Buffalo has been a part of my life for as long as I remember, and now I can say that I am an important member of the community. 
I will do my best for the people of Southwest Michigan. It's always been a special area for me. And although I will always keep my mind open to new opportunities or the possibility of returning to school to get a Master's Degree, I could also see myself staying in the area for a long time. 
I'd like to thank HCN editor Dave Johnson for giving me this opportunity to continue my experience in journalism in another area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment