Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Wednesday, July 14, 2010

2010 Travel season about to begin

Outside of trips weekend trips to Indianapolis, Springfield, Northwest Indiana and Southwest Michigan, I really have not traveled anywhere in 2010. I have not left the comfort zone of the midwest.
I will still be in the midwest this weekend, but in a major city that I have yet to visit, Minneapolis. From Friday to Sunday, I will be embarking on the first road trip of the 2010 travel season.
As are nearly all of my summer road trips, a baseball game serves as the centerpiece to this weekend getaway in the real twin cities. And who would have thought that the White Sox would have been ahead of the Twins when they play at Target Field this Friday in downtown Minneapolis. When I planned this trip two months ago, it looked like Minnesota would be ahead. One month ago, it was almost certain. But an incredible 15-5 run has put the White Sox in first place, with the Tigers (1/5 game back) and the Twins (3 1/2) looking up at them.
I am looking forward to being the enemy Friday night, rooting on the White Sox against their archrivals at the newest stadium in baseball.
Staying downtown, I will also be able to take a ride on the Minneapolis Queen, go to the observation deck at the Foshay Tower and go inside the Basilica of St. Mary.
Before I leave back for Chicago on Sunday, I will spend a few hours at Mall of America in Bloomington, the largest in the country.
On the way to Minnesota, I hope to spend an hour and a half in Madison, Wisc.; seeing the University and the state capitol.
This Minnesota trip is just the first of a few weekend travel ideas I have planned for this year. A possible Washington DC trip in August and a likely visit to Philadelphia in November to see the Colts are other ideas I have in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment