Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Saturday, July 24, 2010

Minneapolis: Friendly and fun


MINNEAPOLIS, Minn.- Sometimes the things you forsee yourself enjoying the most on a trip fon't pan out and other times things you thought would be a bore turn out to be a great moment in life.
One of the events I was looking forward to most on my three-day journey to Minneapolis last weekend was a boat ride on the Mississippi River. The Minneapolis Queen departed twice on Saturday, at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. But I was not there for either one. The boat ride would never happen. The walk from downtown to Boom Island Park was much longer, hotter and exhausting than I had predicted. I gave up trying to find the boat, but five minutes after I took a seat, I heard it taking off. I could have made it had I kept going, but oh well.
Because of rain and mid-day tiredness, I decided to put my visit to the Foshay Tower observation deck off until after dinner. It turned out to be the best decision of the trip. All in one night at the Foshay, I was lucky enough to have an elevator conversation with Chicago White Sox radio broadcaster Ed Farmer; experience a strong storm on the observation deck; hear a tornado warning while at the top floor of the building; and see White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski at the hotel bar on the first floor.
None of that was part of the plan, but it turned out to be the best part.
Minneapolis was surprisingly friendly considering I was wearing either a White Sox jersey or t-shirt for most of the time walking around the city. Everyone was willing to give directions and all the trash talking was friendly. In New York, it was nasty. But Minnesota seems to be a friendlier rival of the White Sox.
Hennepin Avenue was the center of life in downtown Minneapolis. It could have very well been a street in New York. Night life, clubs, theatres, it seemed like much of what was to do in Minneapolis was right on that street, the Broadway of Minnesota.
As far as a major American city not considered a metropolis like Chicago or New York, Minneapolis was pretty cool. It was easy to navigate with the streets and avenues being system being much similar to New York. It was livlier than Cleveland or St. Louis and had a lot of major companies based there such as Accenture and TCF. It is also the home of the Mary Tyler Moore show.
I like how much support they have for their Twins. There is a statue for every year in which a Minnesota Twin was given a Gold Glove Award.
I would definitely consider another visit to the city. Possibly for the Colts-Vikings 2016 game. At that time I would like to take a tour of the Metrodome (if it is still there), finally go on the Minneapolis Queen and take a segway tour of the city.
Photo: The view from atop the Foshay Tower at night. Just minutes before a funnel cloud was spotted in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment