Sports, Movies, Features, History, Travel, TV, Churches




Saturday, July 24, 2010

Stadium Tour: Target Field


MINNEAPOLIS - Last weekend I had the chance to visit Target Field, America's newest major pro sports stadium. In it's first year as the home to Major League Baseball's Minnesota Twins, the stadium has been applauded as a big improvement from the Metrodome and one of the league's finest ballparks.
While it is without a doubt above average, and I would even say a top five ballpark, I wasn't overwhelmed. It didn't have much to separate itself from other new ballparks. And Lucas Oil Stadium was still more impressive.
They did a good job of highlighted past greats like Kirby Puckett, Kent Hrbek and Harmon Killebrew. Their fans are friendly and classy and I would say it's the most convenient park I've been to. Nice bathrooms, lots of hallway space and plenty of counters. I also loved how they have evergreen trees in the outfield and the outdoor atmosphere is great on a nice summer night in the Twin Cities.
I enjoyed my seats too. Even though I was far from the plate, I was always entertained because of the view of the Minneapolis skyline.
As usual, whenever I travel with the White Sox, they lose (1996 in Toronto the exception). This year, it was a 7-4 loss to the Twins with Gavin Floyd having a rare shaky day. The White Sox trailed by five in the ninth before scoring two off Twins close Jon Rauch and had the go-ahead run at the plate with the bases loaded and nobody out. But Chicago's two best hitters, Paul Konerko and Alex Rios, were unable to get on base and put an end a possible thrilling come from behind victory.
Convenient isn't necessarily great. I'm sure it's a clear improvement from the old dome. I'm probably being too hard on it because I was expecting it to be the best I ever saw. It wasn't, but still very, very good.
Photo: In enemy territory, I wear a Carlos Quentin jersey at Target Field in Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment